Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Grocery Haul

Before I get into and show what I got at the store today, I just wanted to go into a little about how I feel about the nutrition aspect of DDPYoga. At first I was totally against it. That's right, I was like "It's not for me." I've always believed that I shouldn't do any "diets" that had me not eating a whole list of foods and/or only eating another whole list of foods. Yeah it might help me lose weight, but in the end I'd want to go back eating everything I denied myself and then promptly gain the weight back. I saved myself from that, but it also meant I never lost any weight at all.

This time seeing all the gluten-free, dairy-free stuff had me running for the hills again. It's a good thing I can't run very far! Last week after my Journey Day 1 (my DDPYoga day 1 is July 1st, since that's when I got the DVDs!) I started counting calories and eating set meals again since I had lost 30+ pounds doing that and exercising before. After the second day and my latest panic attack (which I blog about here) I knew it wasn't going to happen. That's when I really started to rethink the DDPYoga nutrition. I began to understand the benefits of and the sense that not eating carbs and protein together made. The gluten-free I'm not completely into yet, but it's mostly about the price. The dairy free I can actually do. I already refrain from drinking milk, so adding the rest and substituting with other things won't be a problem.

I am a vegetarian. I have been since the 7th grade. I'm 24 and will be 25 in September to put that in perspective. So, that's not going to change. One of the unfortunate things about the gluten is that I've looked at my breakfast patties that you eat instead of a sausage patty and there is wheat gluten in it. So I'm not going to be completely gluten-free, but I figure it's better to lower gluten intake a lot than not do anything to it.

So that is really where I am at right now. I know I really need to change what I eat not just how much and am excited about the organic choices I'm trying to make as well as the few gluten-free choices. I mentioned in my last video that I would be going to the store and checking out what gluten-free and organic stuff they had and this is what I got:


Organic Girl romaine lettuce and baby spinach ($3.99 each)
 and Nasoya tofu plus organic ($2.99 each).

$0.75 coupons for the tofu (doubled at my local grocery store) saved me  $2.50

Found the Rebel Green fruit and veggie spray ($4.99)!!! Was so excited after seeing this in one of DDP's videos, because I can't always get organic and this will help with that. I also got a Smart Water ($0.79), three Sparking Ice zero-calorie vitamin drinks ($0.88), and two bottles of wine ($5 each).

Should I have gotten the wine? No it's on the no list, but as I say: You gotta start some where and I'm starting somewhere. There was also a coupon for $1 off 2, so after doubling it saved me $2.

These are my main gluten-free purchases. Buttered popcorn flavored  rice cakes, which probably aren't dairy-free then  ($2.69) and two bags of Black River Valley Choco Chomp cereal ($2 each)

Really excited to try the cereal with rice milk in the morning!
Just to show you I am truly a work in progress: I got 5 lunchables : )  With a  $5 off 5 store promotion these  were $0.99 each and with two $1 coupons doubled I got 4 free and paid $0.99. Yes I still shouldn't have gotten them, but one is actually for my brother and I'll get to that gluten/dairy-free land one baby step at a time.

For these 19 items I paid $35.93 total. I saved $25.89, 14 of which were from coupons alone.

So did I get a couple of things I shouldn't have? Yes. Did I get some good stuff? Yes. Did I try and be conscious of the good habits I want to create? Absolutely. I've always wanted everything to come to me immediately, but I know with this, it's going to be one step at a time.

What else did I accomplish? I was able to get a better lay of the land of my local Pick N' Save. It's not a whole foods (the closest one is about an hour away so we can't go that often), but they do have some good items. I was very surprised to find the Rebel Green wash and I hadn't planned on spending money on extra stuff, but I knew I was getting that when I saw it. They don't have a huge organic veggie and fruit section, but they have more than they used to, so that's something. They have a whole gluten-free section and it's very depressing, because a lot of it actually looks great, but it's all so much more expensive. But that leads me to my new mission!: To start gluten-free, organic, and dairy alternative coupon hunting! While I'm looking for a job, that can be my occupation to save myself and my family money, while trying to eat more and more good stuff!!!

One step at a time!

Today was also my second day doing the Wake Up program and I love it! Since I'm waiting for my Disc 1 replacement, I put in Disc 2 and did about half of the Below the Belt routine. My arms are sore from Monday's Diamond Cutter half and yesterdays volleyball and I think my legs will be feeling the same by tomorrow. I love it though! I've always loved the sore feeling the day or so after a workout! It's means I've actually done something! And all with no treadmill or weights! I'm getting more and more excited everyday and it's only the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment