Sunday, November 15, 2015

Smoothay with a side of carrots

Well, I am sure we can all guess what happened? Didn't really do much on that list. I really have no idea where my motivation goes. Every time it is so brief I wonder whether I had it to being with. So my life at the moment:


  • I am now 27.
  • I returned home in September having lived for a year in Manchester working on a Master's degree.
  • Still awaiting the results of said degree.
  • No job.
  • Still obese.
  • Still have anxiety issues.
  • Still and more rapidly falling apart.
  • Still trying.
  • Mia-less. (RIP Mia)

That pretty much sums me up at the moment. Not sure what to do, but my friend Siouxsie messaged me one day and told about this 10-day green smoothie cleanse. She had been doing it and said that she really noticed a difference. I've always thought a cleanse was a good idea, but just never did it. I really liked the book and I liked how it said some things about diets that I've said for years. I really have little money, but I decided that it was worth it and bought the first five days worth of stuff (the book has a convenient shopping list). 

I made many a joke about a fictional bunny i was shopping for. 

I was going to wait until Monday to start, but I bought the stuff yesterday and couldn't wait. I think it was a combination of really wanting to try this out and the fact that it is frustrating as hell to buy food and not get into it straight away. Here goes nothing, right?

Day 1:

It really began last night. I know I have a problem with food if I was like an addict last night trying to get my last fix in before rehab. Had a glass of wine and tried to think of what I could eat, but I was tired and really was just over it. I settled for a handful of potato chips. 

I woke up with a killer pain in the neck that traveled up through the back of my head and stabbed my brain anytime I moved or, you know, breathed. I considered waiting until tomorrow to start, but then I could always be saying "tomorrow." So, I grabbed the blender and went to work. My mother is grossed out by the thought of drinking spinach in any form, so naturally when I blended the spinach and water together to make spinach juice (this is the first step to get the spinach all blended to which you then add the fruits) and offered her a refreshing glass... she didn't appreciate. 

Initial thoughts.... not bad, but not my favorite taste ever. I'm not tempted to drink them fast, so it actually is like a meal in terms of how much time it takes me to get through one. I like snacking. I had a couple of baby carrots throughout the day. I also had two hard boiled eggs with my lunch smoothie and plan on eating an apple later. 

I must say I do feel better already. When my killer neck finally died I was able to kind of think about everything so far and I notice now that I must have been super bloated. I feel like I have deflated some. I know I haven't even finished Day 1, but it is nice so far. I have been tempted with other foods, but I've resisted and it hasn't been too bad.

My worries.... this getting old after a couple of days, but then it is only 10 days and then I can figure out what I want to do next. Not to mention it'll be Thanksgiving right after I end this. If I can handle this okay, then I may do another one or even do a modified cleanse (2 smoothies a day and a healthy meal instead of three smoothies) after Thanksgiving. I worry about protein, since I have issues getting that anyway, but I did break down and buy some vegan, plant-based protein to add. It's vanilla flavored though, so it changes the taste of the smoothies a little. 

My only criticism of the cleanse so far is the amounts on the shopping list. I've never done this before so I wanted to get exactly what was listed. a lot of the amounts for the frozen fruit and greens were 20 ounces. In the store, however, most of the things available were from 5 oz up to 16 oz. So I had to get creative, but it was kind of frustrating. If I do this again, then I am going to have to figure out a better, and hopefully cheaper, way to get the goods.

Well let's just hope for the bast. Shall we?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I was wondering if you had a Costco there. Here they sell a ton of stuff in bulk, so it's perfect for this craziness. I was actually thinking earlier I shoulda told you I'd chip in some money. I'll be happy to PayPal to help. As you go, just make note of which smoothies taste the best to drink after the 10 days.
    I really felt a difference. It helped get rid of water weight pretty quickly from getting rid of a lot of sodium, though I still have some.
    I hope this puts you on a nice healthy path (with some cheat days here and there).
    :)

    ReplyDelete